Sunday, March 21, 2010

Getting Old

Getting older isn’t nice, is it? I’m always happy if someone said that I’m still like a teenager or a student. My heart always flies if my new friends were surprised and said “ What? Do you already have two big children? Are you kidding? You look so young!” I smiled gleefully when I walked with my children, met with other people and they said,”Are they your nephew and niece?” Or even worse they would said,”Are they your brother and sister?” What? My children? Brother and sister? Oh come on, I’m not that young, they are my children, indeed! Even though I was a bit insulted but there was a pleasant feeling crept, deep in my heart.

But, if I looked at the mirror, saw a white-hair in my head, my heart would trembling. If I touched and noticed a large lump under my belly skin, my heart would screaming. If I realized that the age of forty is crawling to me in the upcoming years, I was scared. All of those fact saying that being young always makes me glad, but being old is a nightmare. I wish I could live forever young. I wish I could drink every pills that could prevent my aging time.

Sometimes, when I woke up and realized that I’m getting older, I sat still and pondered,”Where am I now? What I have been doing in my life? I just feel like I was still studying and enjoying my youth, but that was 15 years ago. And it seems that I just married and was cuddling my first baby, but that was 10 years ago. Hmm, the next 10 years my children should be in the university and the next 15 years perhaps I will have a grandchild. Oh God, how fast time flies! Then, my heart pounded and my stomach lurched. I sank in an anxiety feeling, the fear of being old.

Terrible, isn’t it? But, that is women. Ups, oke, not all of women of course. At least, that is me, a woman who suddenly have those feeling on her birthday. Luckily, I’m surrounded by love so I can get out from my worry. My husband always ‘wake’ me up and my children always cheer me up. When my daughter made a wish for me, she said,”Ya Allah, I hope my mom will still alive after her thirty six years old.” And my son continued,” Ya Allah, I hope my mom can still kind and beautiful always.Amin.” I smiled and giggled, what a beautiful wishes. I couldn’t imagine it came out from the lips of my two babies who look so mature now. Then, they made a small party for me. Each of us threw a balloon up with our left hand and the other hand tried to fall down others balloons. We jumped, ran, screamed and laughed! I laughed and felt so grateful. “Hmm, being old with all of what I have is not bad, actually,” I murmured.

A while later, when my children had slept, I lied in my bed and remembered what was happened a day before at 12 o’clock in the night. Here came besides me, a man whom I shared all of my live in the last 12 years. “Happy birthday Honey, I wish your dream come true. I don’t know why, but with our happiness and sorrow that we have been going through, with your struggling to live with me here that I know is so hard, day by day, I love you more and more. I wish we will always be together, forever.” My heart was melting. My tears was hovering in my eyes. We hugged to each other so fast as if we will never be apart. Then, we talked about our past time that we have been going through together. We smiled at our sweet memories; tears of our sorrow, difficulties when nurturing our kids, our traveling, our spiritual journey and our age that getting older, and then I said, ”You are the best birthday present in my live, I’m so grateful to have you. I never regret spending my last 12 years with you, even though there are a lot of bitterness, but there are always sweetness in the end.”

That night was so sweet as a happy ending story in an Indian movie. But our conversation then make me realize that being old together with him, raising my children together with him, watching our children growing together, and reaching our dream together is a bless. How if I should live alone and getting older without someone besides me? Having a family is a gift because not everybody can build a family. I should thankful with what I have. So why should I worry about getting older then? Yes of course, because I’m not a holly man that have no worried about the future. But, well at least, I realize more now that my family is my germ. I shouldn’t worry about being old, I should worry if I’m getting old but I can’t be a good spouse for my husband and a lovely mom for my children. As Plato said,” The spiritual eyesight improves as the physical eyesight declines,” getting older means that I should be a better person inside even though I loose my beauty outside.

So now, am I happy if my belly getting bigger and there is no more people say that I’m look young? Uhm..I’m afraid…I’m not that good. Again, I’m not a holly man who doesn’t care about more wrinkle and the tummy fat. But, well at least, now I can say that getting older is a fact but looking older and getting rotten inside is a choice. And I choose not to look older nor get rotten inside. I hope, I’ll try…

16 comments:

  1. ditulis dengan indahnya mb Agnes, sekaligus bikin heran, beneran ngerayain ultah ke-36 ?
    but you look so young ...really...*sambil lirik2 kaca, minder sendiri*
    aku liat potonya yg di cover buku Family Travelling itu lho ...kirain sepantaran sama aku ...hihi...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. menjadi tua itu hanya ada dalam pikiran :D selamat ulang tahun Nes....OMG....36??? *ikutan bercermin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe maunya sih ngrayain ultah ke 17 shan, tp apa daya, emang udah tua hahaha. Wah dirimu blum liat aslinya foto mah menipu hehe, udah tambah tua skarang mah, meski kmrn ttp ada yg nyangka umur aku 26 sih, bahagia mode on xixixi Ini juga gara2 terkompori dirimu kan pengen punya flat belly, susah bener euy, aku baru dpt VCD Jilliannya, mulai minggu ini pengen coba, wish me luck ya say :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tx sus, nah kan jd pada ngaca inget umur haha, susi mah ti baheula ge imut sus, tenang weh pasti disangka abg keneh sus :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. syelamat berlatih mb Agnes ...pokoknya konsisten siy pasti berhasil deh
    eh, aku belum nyoba 30hari berturut2nya, coba dong mb Agnes yg nyoba trus ntar diceritain :)
    btw, tentang ngaca itu, beneran lho, baru nyadar udah bukan 22lagi umurnya ...hihi
    makanya hetsot aku ganti niy poto miring kiri thn 2010, soalnya hetsot yg sebelumnya yg miring kanan itu poto 2004 :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. oya, met ultah ya mb Agnes...beneran surga bisa growing old bersama pasangan, saling menjaga&menyayangi, melihat anak2 bertumbuh :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya ampun Shan, aku tadi nyoba gilee baru setengah udah mau pingsan, pantes aja ngefek kalo 30 hari mah.Jadi aku ngegym 2 bulan nga ngefek blas deh, asli yg ini gila2an hehe. Tapi besok aku coba lagi deh, ga mau patah semangat ah, tergiur melihat dirimu yg berhasil. Btw, foto miring membuat lebih muda berarti ya kesimpulannya hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makasi ya say, bener banget, soalnya selama ini kadang karena udah sehari2 bersama mereka maunya liat kluar aja pengen ini itu ga mensyukuri yg didlm, pdhal dlm rumah itu sendiri pusat kebahagiaan ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bundaaaa...I'm back to MP again,
    Happy milad ya bundaaa, wish u all de best
    Many great returns to you, amin...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Habis darimana aja neng baru balik MP hehe, makasih ya say doanya, smoga begitu jg dengan dirimu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...selamat ya Bunda...
    saya newbie di MP...
    saya senang sekali membaca tulisannya...jadi terinspirasi :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're not getting old but aging...that's the term people use now to create a better point of view of getting older....you are beautiful,kind,a loyal wife,a good mom....so what more do you ask?u r lucky to have the life u r now.....so La Tahzan Bunda....u r the love of your family's life....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the term, yes it sounds more positive :-). Indeed I'm so lucky, thanks God :-), but I'm just a human who also has a positive and negative feeling sometimes, I can't pretend to be a perfect woman, that's me, but I'm trying to be a better person day by day, wish me luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. MasyaALLAH indah nian tulisannya mba Agnes.

    Semoga umur yang tersisa di beri keberkahan. Dan semoga keluarga mba Agnes di kuatkan ikatan kasih sayangnya. Dan juga rumah mba Agnes bisa menjadi surga di dunia. Amin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Makasi ya say amiiin, semoga begitu jg denganmu :-)

    ReplyDelete